Aloha Oregon!

7.31.2006

Gaming & Raining

I've gotten Kim hooked on Jedi Knight 2.

It is a video game based on Star Wars (in case you are a girl or use a Macintosh and so don't know what this is). It is her second video game experience after Grand Theft Auto, in which she had a tireless delight in running people over with cars (*squish*), and I feel her education into geekdom is coming along quite well. I refuse to give her hints when she plays the game, so she muddles through giving the occasional "harumph" to remind me that my silence is annoying her. The funniest part of watching her play (and I know I do this too) is when she tentatively turns a corner and is fearful of what may be lurking around it, she'll physically lean over in her chair as if to peek around the laptop's screen. This is both hilarious and endearing to me. "Young Padawan, your training is almost complete."

And it rained this morning.

Every summer, Southern California is blessed or cursed with one day of rain. It usually comes in late July or early August and only lasts an hour or two. For a region of the country pretty unused to water falling from the sky, its quite a surprise. This unseasonal, yet predicatible event should, I think, be commerorated as a "floating holiday." Everyone should get the day off on Summer Rain Day whenever it should occur. But the following conditions would be in effect:

- Nobody can drive on Summer Rain Day. Whenever it rains in Southern California there is about a billion car accidents. Rain here causes everyone to play automotive slip and slide because no one seems to understand that their 5000 lb SUV sporting high performance tires doesn't corner well in standing water. This morning, a semi truck overturned on I-5 and they closed 3 lanes of traffic turning what (I'm told) is a hellish morning commute into a parking lot. So driving is out.

- Nobody goes to the beach. I'm not being selfish here, this is pure prudence. On Summer Rain Day, there is no sun and it is usually cold and the ocean has enough bacteria runoff to turn you green.

- Nobody waters their lawn. Need I explain?
(Our excuse was that the sprinklers were preset for 6am, what's yours?)


Of course Kim and I already had the day off so we're already playing video games. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home