Aloha Oregon!

10.04.2006

We've Moved to Oregon!

It seems as though we've traded Cameroon for Oregon. In a humorous comparison, we are now in the 2nd "Whitest" state in the U.S. (after Kansas). I also work in the town of Beaverton (the city sign has a little beaver on it), have up until recently commuted through Troutdale, and am within striking distance of the little town of Aloha.

At the end of September, after weighing our options, we decided to pack up and head to the Great Northwest. We've been up here before: visiting friends in Seattle, close relatives in Hood River, and on a recent trip, driving out to the Oregon and Washington coasts. We like the trees, the people, are set on embracing the weather, and have procured for ourselves one of the ubiquitous Subaru that inhabit these parts.

I, (Chris), find myself once again at a computer, now doing contract software work, but hopefully something a bit more meaningful and rewarding in the months coming up. Kim's back on the job prowl after finding us an apartment within a mile of my company (go Kim!) and I'm stoked that I'm walking to work again.

We've spent some quality time with Kim's sister's family already. I look forward to seeing the friends in Seattle that we've known for some time, and embracing a new city in Portland, which is within reasonable distance of a very surfable North Pacific coast. I figure I'll have more water time here than in Africa, if it is a bit cooler to the touch :)

An oddity I've encountered, since coming here, is that Oregonians keep asking me, "Why Oregon?"

People in Santa Barbara never ask you why you moved to Santa Barbara.

Why Oregon, indeed.

I usually answer that I've come because family and friends are in the area, and I like the weather. It seems that most Oregonians also like their families and friends, and tolerate the weather (and like people who tell them their weather is great).

Those that know Santa Barbara find it hard to believe I'd want to leave, and sometimes I don't quite believe it myself.

But I know if I don't explore what the rest of the world has to offer, I'll never know anything more that a few dozen square miles and a little stretch of coast.

And I know I'll end up somewhere like that eventually :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home